Public Measure "A" Local Option Sales Tax
February 23, 2018
Polk County Residents
VOTE MARCH 6th
Passage of Public Measure “A” will allow property tax relief for both residential and commercial properties, as well as much-needed funding for our neighborhoods for public safety improvements and improvement to city streets, sidewalks and parks.
Neighborhoods are the cornerstone of our great cities and this is the chance to help them grow.
Polk County has said it will use the funds for property tax relief, capital improvements and mental health issues.
The City of Des Moines will allow property tax relief, remove blighted properties, repair and maintain streets, including Fleur Drive, Penn Ave., and SW 9th, preserve fire response times, public safety by funding firefighter positions currently paid for by an ending grant. Updating police, fire and EMT communications and building a Northeast side fire station to significantly improve response time.
City of Clive
· Roadway rehabilitation and street improvements throughout Clive.
· Relocation of Clive’s Fire Station to a more central location in the community.
· Remodeling of Dymond Public Safety Center for Police, once the Fire Station is relocated.
· Projects identified in the Greenbelt Master Plan.
· Streambank stabilization along Walnut Creek, and other stormwater improvement projects.
City of Ankeny
· City Council determined 65 percent of the revenues will be used to reduce property taxes. Ankeny city tax rate would decrease by 11.2 percent.
· 35 percent will be used for Capital Improvement Projects including:
· New Senior Center
· Street improvements to upgrade safety and mobility
· Park and trail improvements including extending the High Trestle Trail and adding an overpass and underpass at Oralabor Road and Ankeny Boulevard.
· Recreational facilities - undergoing master plan to identify future projects
· Traffic flow improvements
· Debt retirement
Check with your City to see what their plan is. be informed!